Online Medical Interpreter Training Course (MITC)
Upcoming session: Jan. 16 to May 23, 2024
A fully online, 70-hour training program for people that want to become certified as medical interpreters. This program is offered by live instructors via Zoom.
If you are interested and want to know more, you can fill out our contact information form, and we will reach out to you!
Who is this program for?
- People with no background in interpretation who speak English and one other language fluently and want to become certified medical/healthcare interpreters.
- Current interpreters that want to validate their abilities and improve their skills by becoming certified medical/healthcare interpreters.
Do I have to be in Tennessee to take this course?
No! You can take this course from anywhere in the US. All you need is an internet connection and access to Zoom.
How does certification as a medical interpreter work?
In the United States, there are two national certifying bodies for medical interpreters: the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters and the National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters.
After you complete an approved medical interpreter training program (like MITC), you can then reach out* to one of the two national certifying bodies and apply to become certified. You will then have to take the assessments they provide and, if you pass them, you will be awarded the corresponding credentials.
How is this program structured?
Our Medical Interpreter Training Course comprises the following:
- 50 hours of theory: Covering subjects such as interpreter ethics, standards of practice, medical terminology, among others (For a full overview, please consult the syllabus here).
- 16 hours of simulations: Simulations are roleplays where participants can practice their interpreting skills in a safe environment with the support of a language coach that is a current interpreter for their language pair. Simulations take place in breakout rooms on Zoom.
- 4 hours of observations: Observations give you the opportunity to shadow current interpreters in the field. As our program is fully online, you will be able to observe real appointments taking place via VRI (Video Remote Interpreting).
What do I need to apply?
In order to apply, you must:
- Be 18 years old or older, and
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Pass two telephonic language assessments: One in English, and one in your other working language. (Note: The assessments only evaluate your fluency in English and your other working language. As such, it does not require knowledge of interpreter skills or medical terminology)
How much does it cost?
The cost of tuition plus materials is $975.00, which can be paid in three (3) installments of $325.
The language assessments you need to pass to be able to enroll cost $66.00 each, for a total of $132.
So, what’s next?
To start the application process, you can schedule your language assessments.
What if I want to know more before applying?
We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have. You can contact us directly:
Students who withdraw before the first day of class or within the first 12 class hours: Full refund
Students who withdraw after the first 12 class hours: No refund
Additional questions may be answered by contacting TLC at email@example.com