Earning your TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certificate can be the beginning of a lifetime of adventure! Begin your adventure by enrolling in an upcoming TESL certificate course. Whether you are looking for adventure, a way to support yourself while traveling the world, a path to helping others, or all three, learning to teach people how to speak English is a kind of open sesame. And the TESL certification program offered by the Tennessee Language Center will give you the training, the confidence and the credential to make magic in your life and that of others.
Our TESL program is designed for adults who are interested in a career change, searching for a new vocation, interested in switching from teaching other subjects into English language training, now teaching English but with no formal training, or who have training but would like to further their professional development through continuing education in TESL.
Not every TESL Certificate program will help you reach your goals – but the internationally recognized 150-hour TESL Certificate from the Tennessee Language Center is a proven language teacher training program.
In our program, you’ll learn how to teach using the same techniques, methods, and activities you’ll use in your own classrooms. And that isn’t by getting or giving lectures. Instead, our methodology uses presentation as only one small step in the overall learning process.
- 150-hour TESL Certificate, far beyond the standard 100 hours
- Recognized locally and internationally
- 120 hours of coursework
- 30 hours of practicum teaching ESL students with a 1:2 trainer to student ratio
- Real life teaching experience prior to completing certification
- Lifetime access to teaching resources, TESL library, and future classes
- be capable of performing university-level work. (A bachelor’s degree is highly recommended but not required.)
- be able to attend class in person or in real-time online, as class attendance is mandatory.
- have access to a computer and an Internet connection and have basic word processing, Internet, and email skills.
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is mandatory for non-native speakers of English. Students must achieve a score of at least 85 on the TOEFL or an overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS in order to be considered for admission.
Any applicant may be asked to complete a pre-enrollment interview and/or exam.
We offer 3 terms during the year to choose from.
|Winter 2023||Summer 2023||Fall 2023|
|# of Weeks||14||14||14|
|Class Days||Tues., Wed. Thurs.
plus 6 ESL teaching Saturdays
|Tues., Wed. Thurs.
plus 6 ESL teaching Saturdays
plus 4 ESL teaching Saturdays
|Class Times||6-8 p.m. Central||6-8 p.m. Central||6-8 p.m. Central|
|Hours Outside Class (homework and preparation)||5-10 hours/week||5-10 hours/week||5-10 hours/week|
Tuition, Discounts & Payment
Full tuition is $1,850
Tuition includes all classes, course materials, and other documentation as well as a signed and embossed TESL Certificate, a signed and embossed transcript, and a letter of standing.
Graduates of TESL also have a standing invitation to access our comprehensive TESL library, online resources, and to attend future TESL sessions at no charge.
- $100 Information Session discount: Attend a TESL Information Session. May be combined with other discounts.
- $100 Early Bird discount: Complete your enrollment and tuition payment 30 days before the Early Bird deadline. May be combined with other discounts.
- $250 Community Service discount: Applicants with 60+ hours of documented community service related to education, immigrants, or refugees
- $250 Prior Training discount: Applicants who have received prior ESL/EFL teacher training or certification
- $250 Bring a Friend discount: Two applicants admitted to the same TESL course who apply jointly indicating
- $250 Employer Match: TLC will match an employer’s contribution up to $250.
- Group discounts: Larger groups may be eligible for a greater discount.
You have the option of paying tuition in installments. We accept cash, checks, and credit cards. You may also make payments through our online registration system. Approved payment plans begin with a tuition deposit of $495, and continue with scheduled monthly or biweekly payments. Payment plan arrangements must be made with the TESL office before the registration deadline for the TESL course you wish to attend. If using the payment plan, only the Information Session discount may be applied to the cost of tuition.
- Review the TESL admission requirements and the tuition information on this page.
- Attend an info session (See dates and location above).
- Choose the course and timing that is best for you. Check our upcoming courses for more information.
- Complete the TESL Application and submit it for review.
- Participate in a brief follow-up interview with our staff (in person or over the phone).
- Register as a Tennessee Language Center student and pay tuition